Thursday, January 23, 2020

Jim Lehrer (1934–2020)

Jim Lehrer believed that news is “not a commodity.” From the New York Times obituary:

“News is information that’s required in a democratic society, and Thomas Jefferson said a democracy is dependent on an informed citizenry. That sounds corny, but I don’t care whether it sounds corny or not. It’s the truth.”
Lehrer died today at the age of eighty-five.

Related posts
Jim Lehrer’s journalistic guidelines
Jim Lehrer’s Post-it Notes

comments: 2

Fresca said...

I hate when these voices of my childhood go, especially these trusted ones.

I think of him in connection with fellow Texan and his friend Molly Ivins, who couldn't have been much different in style. And also, sadly, dead....
R.i.p.

Michael Leddy said...

Speaking of whom, do you know that there’s a documentary about her? Waiting in my Netflix queue.