Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Newhart sardines

Dinnertime. No one has shopped. The only thing Bob and Emily Hartley have in the house is a can of sardines. Bob is not a fan:

“I thought we were saving them for a special occasion — like a famine.”
From The Bob Newhart Show episode “The Separation Story,” October 5, 1974. Written by Tom Patchet and Jay Tarses, the latter of whom created The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd . We always like seeing Jay Tarses’s name on our television.

Related reading
All OCA sardines posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

That was a great episode (in a great, great series), not only because it had (as usual) some truly funny lines, but because it showed a grownup married couple arguing, apologizing, and moving on! Actually acting like real, mostly mature grownups! Emily says something like, "Bob, you agreed that this would be the year that [you worked extra hours?] while I studied for my doctorate." Bob: "Yes, this year. THe year of the sardine." She gives him an exasperated look and he says, sincerely, "You're right, Emily. I'm sorry." I saw it when I was about 12 and it made a tremendous impression on me.
Thanks for supplying the title so I can look it up again. ("Caged Fury" is another great relationship episode. Emily: "Bob, do you love me? Bob: "Sure." Emily; "Why?" Bob: "Why not?")

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the extra dialogue. :) I loved the deadpan humor and non sequiturs of that show.