Saturday, September 5, 2015

James Ward’s supplies

“James Ward keeps his collection of office supplies at his mother’s house outside London because his flat in Brixton, which he shares with a roommate, is too small. He says his mother, a former librarian, has ‘come to terms’ with the arrangement”: “A Collector Sees the Potential in a Humble Paper Clip” (The New York Times).
*

September 7: I just hit page 114 in Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up : “Your parents’ home is not a haven for mementos.” And one page later: “Even if the house is large with rooms to spare, it is not some infinitely expanding fourth dimension.” Mr. Ward, heed Ms. Kondo’s words. Send your supplies to me.

Related reading
All OCA supplies posts (Pinboard)
Tidy?

[James Ward is the author of The Perfection of the Paper Clip: Curious Tales of Invention, Accidental Genius, and Stationery Obsession (2015).]

comments: 2

brownstudy said...

I used Marie's method recently to get rid of about half of my clothes; I didn't think I even HAD that many clothes.

Books are next but it would take me a weekend to go through them all. I have 3 big bookcases, so maybe I'll do one bookcase at a time. Trouble is, books give me such joy anyway that I may have to change the question to thin out the herd.

Michael Leddy said...

In the course of emptying my office, I gave away hundreds of books. I haven’t missed them. But I also brought home hundreds and hundreds more. I recall Ms. Kondo saying that she keeps thirty books at home. Thirty! I couldn’t live like that either.