Friday, December 20, 2013

OED birthday words

Behold the Oxford English Dictionary birthday word generator. Choose a year (like, say, the year you were born) and get a word that entered the language in that year.

I get nit-pick: “to criticize (a thing) in an overzealous or pedantic fashion; to find fault with.” Hmm.

First citation: “His decisions in the main were so well conceived and executed that it would be quibbling to ‘nit-pick’ those few instances where his judgment was fallible.” Hmm.

For anyone who has access to the dictionary online, the OED has a more personalized generator. There I get repo, as word almost exactly as old as I am: “The repurchase agreement is also called a ‘repo’ or a ‘buy-back.’” I like nit-pick better.

comments: 1

Geo-B said...

I've gone over your blog with a fine-toothed comb, and I think nit-pick is a lousy word for them to offer you.