Monday, December 16, 2013

A Naked City Mongol


[“Goodbye, My Lady Love,” Naked City, January 27, 1959. Click for a larger view.]

That’s Detective Jimmy Halloran (James Franciscus) and a Mongol pencil. It’s the ferrule that gives it away. Here’s another Naked City Mongol.

Yes, there are all kinds of ways to enjoy television. This post involves a highly specific application of the studies-in-material-culture approach.

Related reading
All Mongol pencil posts
All Naked City posts

[There are eight million pencils in the Naked City. This has been one of them.]

comments: 4

Adair said...

While Naked City used Mongols, Highway Patrol was issued Ticonderogas.I've spotted various pencils on Dragnet, but mostly Venus Velvets and Pedigrees on the desks of Joe Friday and Bill Gannon.

Michael Leddy said...

I think I had better watch Dragnet more carefully — I’ve never noticed a pencil brand. But I have noticed (and covet) the notepads.

Adair said...

At their desks, noting down details from a telephone call, Friday and Gannon most often use wood-cased pencils. But out on assignments, Gannon (who does most of the note-taking) uses a mechanical pencil that looks like an Autopoint or Skillcraft. Yes, those pocket notepads are great!

Michael Leddy said...

There’s an episode whose story hinges on a notepad, “I. A. D.: The Receipt.” It’s at Hulu. Meanwhile, I’m going to put a tail on Bill Gannon.