Thursday, September 12, 2013

Beatlemania, flagged

I was typing up a page for a class:



Change Beatlemania? Never.

Find Next? Not happening.

Ignore? Impossible. The screaming!

The Oxford English Dictionary takes care of a definition: “addiction to the Beatles and their characteristics; the frenzied behaviour of their admirers.” Again: the screaming!

Related reading
All Beatles posts (Pinboard)

[I was typing the first paragraph of Colin Fleming’s “1963: The Year the Beatles Found Their Voice” (The Atlantic, June 2013), useful for showing how a writer might create a genuine thesis statement for an essay. But 1963? I can’t agree.]

comments: 4

Slywy said...

Typing up? Really? :D

Michael Leddy said...

Yes. Honest. I guess it’s force of habit — that’s how I describe “document preparation.”

stefan said...

Thanks for the post, Michael, and the link to Fleming's article. His use of "annus mirabils" was especially interesting because it made me think of the Philip Larkin poem with that title. As you know, it begins:

Sexual intercourse began
In nineteen-sixty-three
(Which was rather late for me)--
Between the end of the Chatterly ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

I can't imagine that's completely a coincidence.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, I recited that when we looked at this paragraph in class. I agree that the reference must be deliberate. At least I hope it is.