Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chris Marker (1921–2012)

From the New York Times: “Chris Marker, the enigmatic writer, photographer, filmmaker and multimedia artist who pioneered the flexible hybrid form known as the essay film, died on Sunday in Paris. He was 91.”

Our son Ben introduced us to La Jetée (1962) several years ago. The Criterion Collection calls it “one of the most influential, radical science-fiction films ever made.” It’s worth seeking out.

comments: 2

Adair said...

So sad. I think La Jetee is one of the greatest films ever, transcending the science fiction genre. Such succinct yet moving storytelling! I love its perfectly round structure, even if it locks the character in an inescapable fate. I also admire Marker'sheiga long film, Sans Soleil.

Michael Leddy said...

That one’s on the Criterion DVD, heading my way soon. I’m looking forward to it.