Monday, July 25, 2016

Awkward metaphor of the day

David Gregory on CNN earlier today, speaking of the need for Hillary Clinton to appeal to both progressives and possible Trump voters: “She’s straddling both ends of this.”

Related reading
All OCA metaphor posts (Pinboard)

comments: 4

The Arthurian said...

Sides, ends, edges -- It's amazing how many people use these words interchangeably. I used AutoCAD for a living. Those words are useful if used correctly.

"Rows" and "columns" in Excel also have specific (different) meanings that many people don't know. But that's not a problem, if you don't know what "transpose" means!

My old boss once told me that "radius and diameter are the same thing". Uh huh. 40 years ago. I still remember that one.

The Arthurian said...

... Quite a picture, "straddling both ends".

Geo-B said...

Sounds painful.

Michael Leddy said...

Rows and columns (or ranks and files) are easy for someone brought up on chess. “Diameter” and “circumference” always throw me, but they won’t now that I’ve read your comment and looked them up. :)