Friday, November 28, 2014

Merriam-Webster holiday shopping


[Life, November 26, 1965.]


[Life, November 25, 1966. Click either image for a larger view.]

Sixteen of twenty people on your Christmas (or “holiday”) list need a Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. I used to recommend that students acquire and use a collegiate dictionary. Now I say college-level . Can you guess why?

The four people who have no need of a dictionary will be happy with Parker T-Ball Jotters.

Related reading
All OCA dictionary posts (Pinboard)

comments: 3

Pete said...

Presumably the gift would be wasted on Uncle George the drunk, who is usually incoherent during the holidays and would be much happier with a bottle of Early Times.

Slywy said...

I won the seventh in a 6th grade spelling bee. Made my school life easier.

Michael Leddy said...

I guess Merriam-Webster wasn’t accounting for such relatives. Maybe no presents for them.

I flunked out in the first round of my one and only spelling bee. Diane, I’m impressed.