Sunday, November 9, 2014

It’s the Weekend Edition lapel pin


[1 3/8" x 5/8".]

If you listen to NPR’s Weekend Edition Sunday, you may have wondered what it looks like. That’s what it looks like, the Weekend Edition lapel pin, one of the prizes for the lucky listeners chosen to play the Sunday puzzle on the air with Will Shortz. I played sometime in the 1990s, back in the days of sending in postcards. My challenge was to figure out word pairs with an added x. I remember maim and maxim.

In 2011, I vowed to find this pin, long out of sight and mind. I also won a Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (10th ed.), much less shiny, and always in sight.

[Not a great photograph, but I cannot find online a single photograph of this shiny object. So this one will have to do.]

comments: 5

Zhoen said...

Oh. That is so cool. I'm quite envious.

Daughter Number Three said...

Ooo, even more respect for you now. Though I often find the luck of the draw to be most impressive when it comes to puzzle contestants. Everyone should have to listen to all the people who've been submitting answers for 25 years, often competing with only a few hundred other contestants, but have just been been selected for the first time. It might decrease the number of people who play the lottery just a bit.

Michael Leddy said...

I had been sending postcards for years and was ready to give up when they picked me. Yes, even with a few hundred entries, it’s long odds.

Lucky Chocolates said...

Thanks for posting the lapel pin pic. I've looked and never found an image of it!
I also love the quote here: "attention is the rarest & purest form of generosity"
Thanks again!

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome. And as they say on store signs, Please Call Again. :)