Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dream with a typo in it

I dreamed last night of walking down a supermarket aisle and seeing shelves stocked with cans of "Columbain coffee." Where did that come from?

The supermarket aisle: I was shopping in my local supermarket last night. More relevant perhaps: I just taught Allen Ginsberg's poem "A Supermarket in California" and talked a bit in class about the rise of the supermarket in American culture.

The typo: I chanced last night upon a high-resolution photograph of Mitt Romney's hair. Romney is the former CEO of Bain & Company (a consulting firm whose "management tools" include Downsizing, yes, with a capital D). The typo might also carry some echo of Columbine. It's reasonable, I think, to fear that the hatred now evident at McCain–Palin rallies may find its release not only in violent words but in violent action.

comments: 4

Geo-B said...

"I chanced last night upon a high-resolution photograph of Mitt Romney's hair" . . .ah, the life of the mind.

Bent said...

McCain - Columbain seems a more obvious slippage - not to mention the near unversal one from Palin to plain pain...

Michael Leddy said...

Ah, I wish I'd seen that. Thank you, Bent. Perhaps the coffee is explained by the idiom "throwing mud."

George, yes, the life of the mind. Or at least the head.

Genevieve Netz said...

"It's reasonable, I think, to fear that the hatred now evident at McCain–Palin rallies may find its release not only in violent words but in violent action."

I think there's a far greater likelihood of violence from disappointed Dems if Senator McCain wins the election than violence from disappointed Republicans if Obama wins. Let us hope we are both mistaken.