Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Old phone ringtone

Prompted by George's comment on a post about the iDial, I went looking for a ringtone that sounds like a phone (i.e., an old phone).

Here's the best I found, an MP3 file that can be uploaded and saved as a ringtone: Old Telephone (54.6 KB). Now my cellphone sounds like a phone.

comments: 13

John Guzlowski said...

Wow.

The ring! It almost sounds natural. Like something given birth to in a forest.

Who would have thought!

Now, a question I have is: "Why do phones have ring sounds rather than some other kind of sound?"

I mean, wouldn't the sound of two rocks slamming together get your attention as surely as the sound of a ring?

Or glass breaking?

I think in fact I would respond to that faster than I do to a ring.

Have you done any research into the history of the "telephone ring."

Did Alexander G. Bell have a ring on his phone?

Michael Leddy said...

Good questions, John! If I find out, I'll post something here.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for finding this version of the "OldPhone" ring. I have used this or similar ringtones on my phones for years and have gone through some poor excuses for this file. I have found that this is the only ring that I want my phone to have because I dont like the stupid techno or hip-hop sounding ones that commonly come with phones.

-Morgan

Michael Leddy said...

You're welcome, Morgan. Be prepared to astonish your friends — and complete strangers — when they hear your phone ring.

Chris said...

How do you convert it to a ringtone? I have a phone from Verizion and would love this ringtone. Thanks Chris

Michael Leddy said...

Chris, if I remember correctly, I sent the file to my phone as an attachment to an e-mail message and then added it as a ringtone. Not difficult, I just don't remember exactly what was involved.

Anonymous said...

great job - thankyou

Anonymous said...

Phones rang because they had bells in them......

Michael Leddy said...

Some of them still do.

Unknown said...

Perfect sound.
I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds Grt on my HTC P3300 Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a few years late, but thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Michael Leddy said...

Kaessa, Anon., and Jackson, you’re welcome, all.