Saturday, March 9, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is one angry puzzle: 4-D, seven letters, “More than sore”; 10-A, three letters, “Expression of hate”; 40-D, seven letters, “More-than-sore manifestation.” Yow. But I didn’t mind. I thought this Sewell puzzle was swell. I did so well. The clue that got things going for me: 6-D, eight letters, “When Troy was founded.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

4-D, four letters, “Group advocating for ministries.” Didn’t fool me.

5-D, six letters, “Bluetooth or flash drive.” I had no idea that Bluetooth may be had in this form.

9-D, eight letters, “Fall event promoting mustache-growing.” I had to dig for this one. I’m long done with the growing season.

13-A, five letters, “3-D, e.g.” Delightfully Stumper-y.

16-A, fifteen letters, “Stand in time.” I started thinking about Proust. Not appropriate here. Time is on the move.

17-D, four letters, “WITCH PARKING ONLY, ALL OTHERS WILL BE ______.” A little levity.

20-A, six letters, “Spade accessory.” Didn’t fool me.

23-A, four letters, “‘I love you.’” A bit hilarious.

27-A, six letters, “Timbuktu’s country’s capital.” It pays to listen to a lot of music.

43-A, eight letters, “Bag handler.” Nice defamiliarization.

45-D, six letters, “Ring of Pluto.” This answer made me happy.

54-A, letters, “‘Trust me for now.’” Movie-esque.

My favorite in this puzzle: 35-A, seven letters, “Extra ambition.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

ENRAGED. FEH. RAMPAGE. BRONZEAGE.

OPEC. DONGLE. MOVEMBER. APTNO.

LEARNTOLIVEWITH. TOAD. FEDORA. (Sam Spade.)

MWAH. BAMAKO. (I was thinking of this album.)

TEACADDY. COLLAR. ILLEXPLAINLATER. SAGCARD.