Saturday, March 9, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is one angry puzzle: 4-D, seven letters, “More than sore”; 10-A, three letters, “Expression of hate”; 40-D, seven letters, “More-than-sore manifestation.” Yow. But I didn’t mind. I thought this Sewell puzzle was swell. I did so well. The clue that got things going for me: 6-D, eight letters, “When Troy was founded.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

4-D, four letters, “Group advocating for ministries.” Didn’t fool me.

5-D, six letters, “Bluetooth or flash drive.” I had no idea that Bluetooth may be had in this form.

9-D, eight letters, “Fall event promoting mustache-growing.” I had to dig for this one. I’m long done with the growing season.

13-A, five letters, “3-D, e.g.” Delightfully Stumper-y.

16-A, fifteen letters, “Stand in time.” I started thinking about Proust. Not appropriate here. Time is on the move.

17-D, four letters, “WITCH PARKING ONLY, ALL OTHERS WILL BE ______.” A little levity.

20-A, six letters, “Spade accessory.” Didn’t fool me.

23-A, four letters, “‘I love you.’” A bit hilarious.

27-A, six letters, “Timbuktu’s country’s capital.” It pays to listen to a lot of music.

43-A, eight letters, “Bag handler.” Nice defamiliarization.

45-D, six letters, “Ring of Pluto.” This answer made me happy.

54-A, letters, “‘Trust me for now.’” Movie-esque.

My favorite in this puzzle: 35-A, seven letters, “Extra ambition.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. ENRAGED. FEH. RAMPAGE. BRONZEAGE.

    OPEC. DONGLE. MOVEMBER. APTNO.

    LEARNTOLIVEWITH. TOAD. FEDORA. (Sam Spade.)

    MWAH. BAMAKO. (I was thinking of this album.)

    TEACADDY. COLLAR. ILLEXPLAINLATER. SAGCARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy these stumper posts because they make you stop and think before looking anything up. Was there one clue here that even you found particularly tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was back in March, so it’d be hard for me to say. But there are many, many clues in Stumpers that I find tricky, and some that baffle me even after I have the answer.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments to avoid spam. Please be patient. Thanks.