Saturday, December 23, 2023

The Times investigates Hallmark and Lifetime movies

Stuff like this makes me want to just ditch my subscription and read for free through my university’s site license: “Just How Formulaic Are Hallmark and Lifetime Holiday Movies? We (Over)analyzed 424 of Them.”

One writer, seven people researching.

The short answer, per our household: pretty derivative.

[Our one Hallmark movie this year: Friends & Family Christmas. It’s a lesbian love story, with fake dating, painfully intrusive parents, a Brooklyn art lab, and “travel grants for innovative thinkers.” We watch one Hallmark movie a year.]

comments: 5

J D Lowe said...

One thing I learned recently about these movies is that a lot of them are shot here in and around Ottawa: https://ottawa.film/christmas-2023/ ! There's lots of overacting on Parliament hill, so maybe this was only natural.

Elaine said...

Trying to keep your finger on the pulse?
There are book series like that, too....big moneymakers. I try not to despair....
Love your pretty card! Are you havind fun with grand-kid(s) this season?

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for that link, JIm. I knew that Montreal has sometimes stood in for New York City in movies. If Ottawa is big in Hallmark movies, I can hope that someday they’ll have one with a scene that includes Glenn Gould’s chair.

Elaine, not having fun yet, but soon.

Frex said...

What? Only one Hallmark movie per year? I pictured you watching them
throughout the holiday season.
Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

Gosh, no. But Elaine reminded me that we watched two others this season — Round and Round, a Hanukkah version of Groundhog Day, and one with dueling delis whose name I don’t even remember. I had honestly forgotten about both of them when I wrote this post, and we really do aim to watch one (minimum yearly allowance).