Sunday, October 8, 2023

OCA, immobile again

After a brief effort using mobile view with this blog, I’ve switched back to desktop view. I have my reasons:

~ No personality. Mobile view makes one blog look exactly like some other blog.

~ To my eye, the typography and lineation look clumsy. The dateline is squashed to an unreadable white on grey; post titles are sometimes broken across two lines when they would easily fit on one. On the main page, the handful of lines that display for each post ignore italics and line breaks.

~ No widgets. No Creative Commons statement, no archive links, no links for favorite posts, no nothing. I know that it’s possible, in theory, to add widgets, but from everything I’ve read, it’s a doubtful venture. And anyway, where would they go? I know that it’s also possible, at least in theory, to edit numerous chunks of Blogger code to create what’s called responsive view, with the page enlarging or shrinking to fit a device’s display, but here too, from everything I’ve read, the prospect of getting things right is doubtful. And anyway, a smaller version of OCA-as-it-is is exactly what Google declares unusable on a mobile device.

~ I dropped the URL of an exceedingly well-known tech website into Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test page. The result: “Page isn’t usable on mobile.” But it’s perfectly usable. Enlarge the page so that the sidebar slides off the screen and everything’s readable.

~ Statcounter tells me that about 40% of visits to Orange Crate Art are by way of mobile devices. No one has ever complained that a page is unusable or suggested that I use mobile view. So if it isn’t ain’t broke —

comments: 2

Heber Taylor said...

For what it's worth, I read Orange Crate Art regularly, always on a phone, and prefer your desktop format for the reasons you stated. You're right. It ain't broke.

Michael Leddy said...

Aah, that’s what I need to hear. Thanks, Heber.