Monday, February 13, 2023

Jury doody

I have been summoned for jury duty, petit not grand, beginning today. So I called in last night to see if I was needed today. “Over 100 people are calling this number, so you may experience busy signals,” the summons said. “Please be patient and try again.”

I tried for five-and-a-half hours last night, calling close to 300 times before getting through, after getting busy signals, silence, or “Verizon cannot complete . . . busy.” Yes, more than 100 people were calling.

It’s 2023. Is there a good reason for courts not to post the necessary information online, protected, perhaps, by a password?

*

Later this same morning: I learned that today is a court holiday. No trials. So why were potential jurors required to call in last night?

comments: 3

Sean Crawford said...

Some years ago, when we built a new city courthouse we put in metal detectors well inside the lobby. You know how army officers in the field eat last? As an incentive to ensure the men are eating in a timely fashion? Not at court. There are long lines to get in, but court people have a separate detector.

Some day I will write a letter to the editor to show how contemptuous I am.

Michael Leddy said...

If there must be a metal detector, I’d agree: one for all. I think that’s what we have.

Slywy said...

Do attorneys charge for time spent waiting at the metal detector?