Sunday, February 26, 2023

“For good,” “forever”

[The New York Times, February 26, 2023, 7:00 a.m. CST.]

[Later that same day.]

I took a screenshot of the headline this morning. I thought it was wildly inappropriate, as the words “for good” invite, if only for a moment, misreading.

Is “forever” an improvement? I think I’d prefer “How the War in Ukraine Has Changed Europe.” No need for prophecy. But what I’d really prefer is an end to megalomania and wars of aggression.

comments: 2

Chris said...

This reminds me of the lazy practice in the book industry of entitling books "________ and How It Changed the World." (On Amazon the first three choices for filling in that blank are the Spanish Flu, the light bulb, and the sports bra.)

Michael Leddy said...

Ha! And the sports bra has “the untold story” for added oomph.