Wednesday, May 16, 2018

FSRC: annual report

The Four Seasons Reading Club, our household’s two-person adventure in reading, just finished its third year. The FSRC year runs from May to May. (The club began after I retired from teaching.) In our third year we read twenty-three books. In non-chronological order:

James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

Honoré de Balzac, Eugénie Grandet, Père Goriot

Jorge Luis Borges, Collected Fictions

Thomas Browne, Urne-Buriall, The Garden of Cyrus

Truman Capote, “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and Three Stories

Alfred Döblin, Bright Magic: Stories

Shirley Jackson, The Road Through the Wall

Franz Kafka, Amerika (The Man Who Disappeared), The Complete Stories, The Trial

Guy de Maupassant, Collected Stories, Like Death

Alice Munro, Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage; Runaway

Nuccio Ordine, The Usefulness of the Useless

Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living

W.G. Sebald, Austerlitz

Stefan Zweig, Balzac, Beware of Pity, The Burning Secret, Fear

Credit to the translators whose work gave us access to the world beyond English: Anthea Bell, Phyllis and Trevor Blewitt, E.K. Brown, M. Walter Dunne, Andrew Hurley, Michael Hoffman, Richard Howard, Ernst Kaiser and Eithne Wilkins, Alastair McEwen, Breon Mitchell, Willa and Edwin Muir, William and Dorothy Rose, Damion Searls, Jonathan Sturges, Tania and James Stern, Dorothea Walter and John Watkins.

Here are the reports for 2016 and 2017.

comments: 6

Frex said...

I like your club.
It makes me wonder if I might/should have a little more pattern and intention to my reading.
But... when I try I always slip back into the Serendipitous Plan. :) I guess that suits me well.

Looking back I see you singled out "Ada" as the best of the best---does this still hold?
--Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

Our choices are pretty much whims — they just present themselves, though we did mean to read all of Cather and Zweig.

If I had to choose one book, it would still be Ada.

Fresca said...

I'm off to the library...

Michael Leddy said...

Happy browsing!

Fresca said...

Was going to check out Ada, but it's huge!
I was already carrying a lot (dolls & makings) and had a couple more stops on the way home--including to get milk for morning coffee...
Literature, or coffee...
Coffee won.

Michael Leddy said...

The original hardcover is esp. huge. Coffee must come before reading.