Saturday, May 5, 2018

From the Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Lester Ruff, is not too difficult, not too easy. As Goldilocks would say, it is just right. And it taught me a couple of things:

2-Down, six letters: “Genericized totwear trademark.” It’s trademarked? I had no idea.

20-Across, seven letters: “Easy undertaking.” At the risk of repeating myself, I had no idea.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

ONESIE. MILKRUN.

Yes, Onesie is a registered trademark. And a milk run is “a routine trip or undertaking, especially one presenting little danger or difficulty.”

The Crow said...

Well I got the onesie, but sure didn't know about milk run, except when I'd go to the corner grocery for just that. (Maybe a loaf of bread, too; or a nickel piece of pickled meat. I was maybe 13 or 14, living in the projects [9th Ward], going down to Boudreaux's.) Never knew any other meaning.

Michael Leddy said...

I should’ve linked to the Wikipedia article, which explains the origin (WWII).