Thursday, October 30, 2014

Know Your Library of Congress Classification Title

It’s the exciting new party-game sensation that’s sweeping my mind: Know Your Library of Congress Classification Title. How to play:

1. Go to the Library of Congress Classification Outline.

2. Find your first initial. Click.

3. Look for your last initial to determine whether you have a one- or two- letter code.

My wife Elaine has a one-letter code: E. There is no EF. Elaine’s LCC title is History of the Americas (America, United States). I have a two-letter code: ML, Literature on music. I remember noticing that code when I was an undergrad borrowing Bill Cole’s biography of Miles Davis from my college’s library. ML, huh.

What’s your LCC title?

[My usual library haunts: P, PA, PE, PR, PS.]

comments: 8

J D Lowe said...

JL= "Political institutions and public administration (Canada, Latin America, etc)" I'm a Canadian living in Ottawa - probably the most political of Canadian cities - so that is one spooky code

Sara said...

Agriculture.

Sigh.

Slywy said...

D = WORLD HISTORY AND HISTORY OF EUROPE, ASIA, AFRICA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, ETC.

DS = ASIA

Rachel said...

R - Medicine
RL - Dermatology
No RR!

journaljim said...

No JO so I'm Political Science - General legislative and executive papers.

I'm also still primarily a Dewey Decimal guy so 811.54 is my usual stop at the public libraries here in CU.

Fresca said...

OMG, so fun!

F = History of the Americas, something I actually have written about for kids

karen said...

K=law.
There is no KC
How about a subclass?

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, everyone, for playing.

It occurred to me only after making this post that some people won’t have a first or last name to play with. Walt Whitman, Walter White, and Woodrow Wilson will have to figure out another game. But William Carlos Williams can be C, Auxiliary Sciences of History.