Thursday, June 19, 2014

Chan Is Missing


[Gadget storage. Click for a larger view.]

Jo (Wood Moy) speaks:

“I went home to get a bite to eat. There was only a piece of leftover pizza. Chan Hung used to always talk about how Marco Polo stole everything from us. First pasta, then pizza. Too bad the Chinese didn’t have tomatoes. But I shouldn’t complain. The only thing I use my oven for is to store gadgets. I guess I’m no gourmet Chinese cook, and I’m no Charlie Chan either, although I did start watching some of his reruns for cheap laughs.”
I should have seen Wayne Wang’s Chan Is Missing years ago — in 1982 to be exact. I saw the trailer again and again at Boston’s Nickelodeon Cinemas. Now I think I know what must have come between me and this film: the end of the spring semester. There was work to be done, to be done.

Chan Is Missing is a wonderful film, filmed for next to nothing ($22,000). Think of it as social commentary in the form of a detective story.

comments: 3

Fresca said...

I saw this when it came out!
But I don't remember a thing about it... so I just put it on hold at the library. Maybe I'll remember when I watch it again.

Fresca said...

Oh, now you linked to this again today (12-16-14), I wonder if I ever got back to you to say that I did watch this movie (again) and LOVED it!
Very ... wry? Unexpected, unresolved... refreshing!

Michael Leddy said...

I don’t think so. Did I tell you that Elaine and I watched (and liked a lot) Another Year?

The Alzheimer’s and music movie is now at Netflix. I added it to our queue yesterday.