Thursday, November 10, 2016

Tony Bennett has to sing

Tony Bennett, interviewed by James Isaacs, June 24, 1986:

Did you have to sing?

I have to sing, yes.

When did you know that?

When Joe Williams told me, “It’s not that you want to sing, you have to sing.” And I said to myself, “You know, he’s right.” I never really thought of it.

When was this?

About six years ago in Vegas.

That late?

Yeah.
From the liner notes for the Bennett compilation Jazz (Columbia, 1987). I’m making my way through my dad’s CDs: Julian “Cannonball” Adderley, Ivie Anderson, Louis Armstrong, Fred Astaire, Mildred Bailey, Count Basie, Tony Bennett. Next stop: Art Blakey. Music is much better for my mental health than the news. Really, there’s no comparison.

Related posts
Tony Bennett at ninety : Tony Bennett sings “Sweet Lorraine” : Tony Bennett’s pencil : “We’re all here”

comments: 2

Matt Thomas said...

“When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.” —Thoreau

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for passing that on, Matt.