Friday, May 13, 2016

Back to school

I am standing in the bedroom of my childhood. I reach under the bed and pull out books and notebooks, all for a new class I am taking. I will be studying Latin and French and learning to read so as to “extract information.” Extracting information: what fun.

This is the fourth school-related dream I’ve had since retiring from teaching, and the first in which I’ve been a student.

Related reading
All OCA dream posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

stefan said...

I wonder if Klinkenborg has infiltrated your dreams, Michael. His critique of extractive reading in Several Short Sentences is pretty memorable, as I'm sure your conscious mind would agree.

Michael Leddy said...

Could be! So much education-talk is devoted to the idea of reading as “extracting information.” I guess I was placing myself in the shoes of today’s students.