Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Yosemite bug

I called Apple with a problem, and it turns out that I had discovered a Yosemite bug. Call it sempervirens. Here’s how to rediscover it:

Go to System Preferences and click on General.

Click on Highlight color and choose Other.

Whatever custom color you choose, the result will be a pale green.


[Sempervirens.]

When I called Apple, I spoke with two tech-support people. The first went through these steps on her Mac, confirmed the problem, and transferred my call to a higher-level person, who filed the bug. Will it be fixed in OS X 10.10.1? I hope so.

I like Yosemite more and more. Or perhaps I should say that I like a slightly modified Yosemite more and more. Changing the system font back to Lucida Grande and darkening the Dock background with cDock makes the new design more attractive.

*

November 18: I just updated to 10.10.1. The bug’s still there.

*

May 4, 2015: Fixed in 10.10.3. Custom color works in some places and not others. Still broken.

comments: 8

Daughter Number Three said...

"Sempervirens" will always be the species name of a plant to me.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s where I found it. :)

Slywy said...

I picked orange and now my highlights are orange (I'd prefer green). I'm going to have to play with this.

Michael Leddy said...

Choosing from the choices shown (red, orange, yellow, and so on) should give you the right color. It’s “Other” that turns to green, at least on my Mac.

Slywy said...

Yep, I've picked from the spectrum, the wheel, the crayons, etc., and I'm getting what I picked. I'm not bugged for some reason!

Michael Leddy said...

You’re doing better than Apple’s Mac.

Slywy said...

I wonder what's going on that I can't reproduce it, but your rep could.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s puzzling. I have a newish Mac at work, and it too has this problem.