Sunday, December 4, 2011

Random number

Above, a random number between 1 and 1,000, which I obtained from random.org, offering “true random numbers to anyone on the Internet.” Get your own random number today!

[For the record: I know that random numbers are not a joke.]

comments: 15

Elaine said...

Did you get to pick your own? Because I happen to know that 42 is THE number to pick; it's the answer to everything!

Hunh--my captcha is lanierde; just the other day I directed someone to check out 'Song of the Chattahoochee' for an example of the usage of AMAIN.

Michael Leddy said...

Elaine, at first I thought this comment was from “my” Elaine; then I wondered if you minored in mindreading. Why? Because I’ve already drafted a post with a second random number — 42, as seen in the NYC subway this past summer.

Elaine said...

Oops; perhaps I should be styling myself as Other Elaine.

It's actually -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- that gives us '42;' and of course, the Universe's Most Useful Object.

Michael Leddy said...

Wikipedia to the rescue. I had no idea.

Elaine said...

Now you can honestly say, 'I have The Answer.'

But can you name the world's most useful object?

Michael Leddy said...

Swiss Army knife?

stefan said...

I'd vote for the Swiss Army knife, too, but I'll bet Elaine means the Babel fish.

Michael Leddy said...

Wikipedia to the rescue. So that’s why Yahoo’s translation service has a fish in its name.

Anonymous said...

But what was the question, asked Irwin Cory.

Elaine said...

NO! It's not the Babel fish (though it is 'most curious.') Good guess, but no cigar. (Swiss Army knife, ditto.)

This is one of those, 'Did you read this book?' test questions.

Gunther said...

If I am not mistaken it is the towel.

stefan said...

I've read the entire four-book trilogy a number of times, Elaine. Perhaps you mean a towel?

stefan said...

Oops, I mean to add this to my previous comment: the question, to Anon's question, was: "what's the answer to life, the universe, and everything?"

Michael Leddy said...

I feel like a traveler looking up everything in a phrasebook. :)

Elaine said...

Gunther wins a prize! (The prize, of course, is a towel.)

We made sure to give each of our HS seniors The Most Useful Object as one of the graduation/off-to-college gifts, naturally.