Thursday, October 30, 2008

Teachers, students, humanity

From an essay by Liberal Studies professor Lynn Crosbie on teachers and students:

I realized that students were potentially terrifying, and potentially terrified — that one of the largest obstacles between teachers and students is a failure to recognize each others' humanity.
Reminding me of what I sometimes find myself saying in my classes: "I'm just trying to be a person."

Your first assignment: Read this (GlobeCampus Report)

comments: 2

The O'Sheas said...

Anyone could certainly extrapolate that out to the whole of people. It seems to me anytime you get two people together, sometimes even within the same family, the need to recognize and acknowledge one another is crucial and often missing when things go awry. This recognition is a value I project (as accurate as they may be) onto the Democrats this season and the reason I voted for That One.

JuliaR said...

Thanks for the link. While I don't do everything she does, I try to engage my students with things like relevant movie quotes. But man, it can be tough sometimes.

Hunh, the word verification thingy is "spitive". Looks like it could be a word!