Friday, June 15, 2007

Browser screenshots

Browsershots and IE NetRenderer are two no-cost online services useful to anyone with a webpage. Enter a URL, and you'll get screenshots showing how the page displays in a variety of browsers, in a variety of operating systems.

Looking at Orange Crate Art with these services a couple of days ago let me see that my blog was displaying properly in every browser tested -- except for Internet Explorer (which I never, ever, use). What's more: IE 5.5, 6, and 7 each displayed the page differently. I had to tinker with the padding for a section of the sidebar to get the various IEs to cooperate.

If you have a webpage, I'd recommend trying these services. You may be surprised to see the variety of browsers available. (I like Firefox.) And if there's an unsightly problem, it's nice to know about it (as with spinach between your teeth and things of that nature).

(Which reminds me: Why are the kids today always referring to "things of that nature"? And "and whatnot"?)

Browsershots
IE NetRenderer

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to add to the browser discussion, but your parenthetical question about "whatnot" and "things of that nature" made me think of these lines from John McHenry Roberts' essay, "How To Say Nothing in 500 Words:"

"Notice also what etc. means. It means 'I'd like to make this list longer, but I can't think of any more examples.'"

Michael Leddy said...

That's good. Have you too noticed these tags in conversation?