Sunday, October 22, 2006

Vegan nightmare

Or perhaps anyone's nightmare. I was standing in the supermarket, reading the ingredient list on a carton of Silk soymilk:

INGREDIENTS: SMOKED CHICKEN WATER,
and that's as far as I got. Silk really is the soymilk of my dreams -- and nightmares.

comments: 9

Lee said...

Now that is seriously weird. I'm going to run downstairs and check my soy milk cartons, though I wonder how you'd translate that into German...

Michael Leddy said...

Lee, I have a friend who will probably be able to tell you when he sees this post.

Michael Leddy said...

My wife Elaine offers this translation: geräuchertes Huhnwasser.

Lee said...

Michael, that was meant as a joke - obviously lame! - about the infamous long German words. (Actually, I'm fluent in German.)

Anonymous said...

Is it legal to smoke chicken water?

Michael Leddy said...

Lee, I know you were joking, but I couldn't resist asking around. My friend Norman suggests Wasser von geräuchertem Hühnchen, "water from smoked chicken." I was hoping that it might come out as one big word.

Crritic!, I think it's legal only in designated smoking areas.

Only this morning did I realize the bit of everyday life that prompted this dream -- Elaine remembered that our daughter mentioned (this past Saturday) that Noodles and Company (American restaurant chain) boils all its noodles in chicken broth (hence nothing there is vegan).

Lee said...

Now if I could only find a way to record my dreams; mine never produce any text!

(Hm...there ought to be story in here somewhere.)

Anonymous said...

I knew I read your post right! I told a few people about your post in the Writing Center, and they didn't believe me! THEN it got brought up in a class, so I directed everyone to your blog... Ha! I knew I had it right. Thanks.

Michael Leddy said...

Anon, you know that this post is about what I read in a dream, right?