Thursday, January 18, 2018

Sardine art

The Smithsonian American Art Museum has Michael Goldberg’s Sardines. Not on display.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has Joe Brainard’s Sardines. Also not on display.

Someone given to making bad puns might say that in Brainard’s collaged drawing the word becomes fish. Looking at Goldberg’s painting should make that pun clear. See also Frank O’Hara’s poem “Why I Am Not a Painter.”

Related reading
All OCA sardine posts (Pinboard)

comments: 4

Frex said...

I love Brainard's collage/drawing! Never saw it before--thanks for the link.

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome. There’s a website for his work: joe brainard.org. His I Remember is a terrific prose work and a great prompt for anyone’s writing.

Fresca said...

Cool--I've never heard of him--thanks. The library has a book I'll check out, Collected Writings of Joe Brainard but not the memoir.

Michael Leddy said...

I Remember is the first thing in there.

Brainard was also an Ernie Bushmiller fan. Lots of Nancy appropriations in his art.