Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Arthur Blythe (1940–2017)

The alto saxophonist Arthur Blythe has died at the age of seventy-six. The San Diego Union-Tribune has an obituary.

Arthur Blythe’s sound on alto is immediately recognizable, a calling card printed in a bold cursive, so to speak. Here are five of my favorite Blythe recordings:

Bush Baby : God Has Smiled on Me : In a Sentimental Mood : Lenox Avenue Breakdown : Miss Nancy

[Full disclosure: “God Has Smiled on Me” is one of my favorite recordings by anyone, ever.]

comments: 2

misterbagman said...

The comments under the video name Fred Hopkins as the bassist, John Hicks the pianist, and Steve McCall the drummer on Miss Nancy. Holy moley, those guys could burn. Looking forward to listening to the rest. I was unfamiliar with Arthur Blythe until today. Thank you for sharing, Michael.

Michael Leddy said...

I had to pull out the LP and listen again (loud). I suggest you look up “Illusions” too, from the same record, different musicians.

Sad to realize that everyone on “Miss Nancy” is now gone. Hopkins and McCall were members of the trio Air with Henry Threadgill. I was fortunate to hear Hicks and Hopkins with David Murray and Ed Blackwell years ago. I never heard Blythe or McCall.