Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Bob Dylan’s spiral-bound notebooks

Spiral-bound notebooks full of lyrics are among the treasures in what The New York Times calls “Bob Dylan’s secret archive.” The Times calls the notebooks “tiny.” If they are 3" × 5", as I think they are (fifteen ruled lines per page), then Bob Dylan has been capable of tinier than tiny handwriting.

Related reading
All OCA notebook posts (Pinboard)
A Kerouac notebook page

[Orange Crate Art is a notebook-friendly zone.]

comments: 5

stefan said...

And Dylan-friendly too, I think. I got pretty excited when I read about these, and I''m looking forward to learning more.

Michael Leddy said...

Well, at least not Dylan-unfriendly. I’m not sure when I last listened to him at any length. But “All Along the Watchtower” and “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry” run through my friend regularly.

Michael Leddy said...

Friend? That should have been head . They run through my head. I was typing on my phone — the damn autocorrection.

The Subliminal Mr Dunn said...

I often wonder what sort of person keeps an archive, hidden or otherwise. When the time comes for someone to write my biography, I'm afraid he will need to rely solely on his imagination. Even if I had any "papers" I would take care to destroy them.

Michael Leddy said...

As Franz K. must by now know, you can’t count on someone else to do it for you.