Monday, June 27, 2016

If my life were a Beverly Cleary novel



Related reading
Dowdy-world miracle (from Fifteen )
Jean Jarrett, dictionary user
Jean Jarrett, letter writer
Ramona Quimby and cursive
Ramona Quimby, stationery fan
Time, cyclical and linear (from Ellen Tebbits)

[Things missing: an alarm clock, a walk before breakfast to beat the heat, the heat, the humidity, &c. “When he could have”: I don’t think Beverly Cleary would use singular they . The novel would explain somewhere in chapter 1 that Elaine and I both kept our maiden names when we married.]

comments: 5

Berit said...

How fabulous! I want to read the rest of Ch.1! Maybe I should have a browse at the library to see if any of Ms. Cleary's titles catch my eye; it's been more than long enough for a re-read.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh gosh — I think my Cleary Channel is no longer working. (I have no plot.) We’be been reading and hugely enjoying the so-called First Love books in old library copies. Sister of the Bride Is my favorite. A few choice passages coming soon.

Rachel said...

Surprisingly comforting!

Fresca said...

You sent this to me a while ago when I was Lost on Tumblr and I don't think I responded? Let me just say, you get an A+ in fanfiction!!!

Michael Leddy said...

Thank you! I sat down and decided to work at it, if only for a few paragraphs. There may be more. The misery of world events makes this imaginary world pretty attractive.