Thursday, April 17, 2014

Imaginary word of the day

The imaginary word of the day is plutonic:

plutonic |plo͞oˈtänik|
adjective
(of a relationship) formerly of great importance but now of little or no importance: their relationship is strictly plutonic.
Elaine hit on the word and together we worked out the meaning.

Pluto plays a small part in the OCA archives:

“Chin up, Pluto” : Educated mothers and pizza : Pluto Day : Pluto in Illinois : Venetia Phair (1918–2009)

[Imaginary dictionary-entry modeled on the entry for platonic in the New Oxford American Dictionary.]

comments: 5

The Crow said...

On first pass, I thought, "I didn't know that's what it means."

Second pass, my comment: "Well, duh, Martha!" My first good chuckle of the day, thanks to you.

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome (from me and from Elaine). Pluto is a surprisingly frequent topic between us. I’m like a first-grader in my affection for the planet. Yes, planet. :)

The Crow said...

PS: enjoyed your links to other Plutudinous subjects, especially Clare and the Reasons.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m glad you did. Clare and the Reasons are terrific. I heard them (with Van Dyke Parks) in 2010. Claire Muldaur is Geoff’s daughter, but she sounds remarkably like Maria (who’s not her mother).

Michael Leddy said...

Oops — Clare.