Thursday, March 3, 2011

PEREC, not ADAIR

Errors in New York Times crossword clues are rare. There’s one in today’s puzzle: 60-Across, “Gilbert       , author of A Void, a 290-page novel without the letter E.”

Gilbert Adair is not the author of A Void (1994); Georges Perec is. Adair translated Perec’s novel La disparition (1969) from French to English. Translating sans e a novel sans e is no ordinary feat of translation, but Perec is the author, as I’m sure Adair would be the first to say.

[The capitals in the post title? Not shouting, just a convention with crossword answers.]

comments: 6

Elaine said...

A lot of people (including me) checked your answer on the WordPlay blog. I frowned when ADAIR appeared on crosses, but I couldn't recall anything to the contrary, and at 1:30 a.m. I didn't feel like sticking around to double check. Glad someone did!

Michael Leddy said...

That little section of the puzzle drove me crazy. “Gilbert? Gilbert?” I was baffled.

Elaine said...

At least I solved that puzzle rather handily. Today's? Joe Krozel Krushes Kindly Old Lady Kruelly!

Michael Leddy said...

Today’s left me utterly defeated.

Elaine said...

If you thought Fridays was bad (and it was,) wait til you see Saturday's. Good luck with that.

Michael Leddy said...

I ended up peeking, many times. I did get ARTCLASS though.