Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Proud non-reader"

Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books.
Kanye West, on the occasion of his first book, Thank You and You're Welcome. Further ironies via the link:

"Proud non-reader" Kanye West turns author (Reuters)

And if there's any doubt: Snopes confirms the authenticity of the quotation.

(Thanks, Rachel!)

comments: 6

stefan said...

My goodness. I'm loathe to get all wordy and self-absorbed, but Mr. West's remarks remind me of a character in John Cheever's "The Enormous Radio" who is described as having, "a wide, fine forehead upon which nothing at all had been written." Or of a character in an Elvis Costello song who "said she was working for the ABC News/It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use."

(I should add that my word verification for this post is "worses," as in, "I've heard celebrities make some idiotic statements, but this is one of the worses.")

Unknown said...

"This is a collection of thoughts and theories," West, 31, said in an interview about his spiral-bound volume, which was written with J. Sakiya Sandifer.I love that he needed a ghost writer for his 52 page book.

And to think this is one of the most influential people in pop culture right now. Scary thought, huh?

Sara said...

Oooh, this is fun! Do another!

Katie said...

Oh, so that's why his rhymes were always so bad.

Michael Leddy said...

Hold on — I'm going out to get some more Haterade. : )

JuliaR said...

"So does he fancy himself a modern-day Confucius?

"I'm trying to end the confusion," he said."

I'm glad he cleared that up.