Saturday, March 7, 2009

From the Doyle edition



"The Doyle edition" is what a friend and I called our paperbacks of T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, every page covered in notes from studying the poem in Modern British Poetry with James P. Doyle. The earliest notes on this page from "East Coker," the second of the quartets, must date from 1976, when I was a junior in college. I added to those notes when sitting in on the same Doyle course as a graduate student (to get all that I'd missed the first time). Many of the later notes came in when I was working on 20th-century long poems and, later still, when I was teaching a course on William Butler Yeats and TSE. The notes on this page span at least twelve years of reading.

I prefer my copy of Four Quartets to the Kindle.

Other Jim Doyle posts
Department-store Shakespeare
Doyle and French
Jim Doyle (1944–2005)
A Jim Doyle story
Teaching, sitting, standing

comments: 1

Geo-B said...

Interesting, I have similar pages, also of Eliot, so they are in the same page ratio and font, but of the Waste Land. I feel a sadness that this ability will be lost. Books will become like movies, where we have to take notes in a different way