Friday, October 30, 2009

Byron disses “Turdsworth”

A collection of Byron’s letters in which he describes a stormy affair with a servant girl, attacks Christianity and dismisses his rival poet as William “Turdsworth” were sold yesterday for more than £250,000. The price is a world record for a series of letters or a manuscript by a British romantic poet, Sotheby’s said.
Read all about it:

Byron’s vitriolic letters on rivals and religion set auction record (Times Online)

comments: 2

stefan said...

I can't believe I didn't think of "Turdsworth" myself! Wish I had. Though I have great affection for WW, I think I'll enjoy his poetry even more with this epithet in mind.

Michael Leddy said...

I have great affection for Wordworth too. I’m debating whether to share this info the next time I teach him.