Monday, July 30, 2018

“It wears a person out”

Mrs. Fosdick offers an addition to the philosopher H.P. Grice’s principles of conversation:


Sarah Orne Jewett, The Country of the Pointed Firs (1896).

Also from this book
“When one really knows a village”

comments: 3

Frex said...

This is so true---and comforting to me to read right now, as I start my 3rd month at my new job. I have been so worn out--and I keep telling people some of it is from the work of meeting and working alongside so many new people---and further, as I blog about today, people who don't share my "mind furniture"--don't have a past or a world view like mine.
It's not bad––often, it's even good––but it definitely wears this person out.

Fresca said...

I know you know who I am, but I think I was signed in as Frex...

Michael Leddy said...

Oh, I know. I explained it to Mrs. Fosdick. :)