Monday, June 27, 2011

Moore Metalhed Maptacks

[Click for a larger view.]

Google wants to know: “Did you mean: metal head map tacks.“ No, I did not. I meant metalhed maptacks, about which Google could find nothing.

I bought this box of Moore Metalhed Maptacks in a late-20th-century stationery store, the kind of store where products sit on the shelves for years, lost in thought, not making a peep. I think of these tacks as having missed their true calling: as markers on a wall-size map charting the progress of a police dragnet. “His only chance now is to head south on Ninth. So we’ll cut him off right … here.” [Tack goes into map.]

Moore is a venerable name in tacks and push-pins: Edwin Moore (1874–1916) founded the Moore Push-Pin Company in 1900. Moore Push-Pin continues in business today, with a website offering a brief account of the company’s history and details of current products. I am especially taken with the Thin-Pin, which might be described as a push-pin that comes close to existing in just two dimensions.

I tried several times to pose these Metalhed Maptacks in a plausible way. They finally surprised me by coming to rest in these cuneiform-like formations.


[This post is the eleventh in an occasional series, “From the Museum of Supplies.” The museum is imaginary. The supplies are real. Supplies is my word, and has become my family’s word, for all manner of stationery items. Photographs by Michael Leddy.]

Also from the Museum of Supplies
Dennison’s Gummed Labels No. 27
Eagle Turquoise display case
Eagle Verithin display case
Fineline erasers
Illinois Central Railroad Pencil
A Mad Men sort of man, sort of
Mongol No. 2 3/8
Real Thin Leads
Rite-Rite Long Leads
Stanley carpenter’s rule

comments: 7

Gunther said...

What an amazing find! Thank you for showing it. As someone who is mildly obsessed with thumb tacks I would have grabbed even the empty box for its design.

Michael Leddy said...

Me too. Like buying a bottle of wine for the label. :)

Rachel said...

Those are some good looking tacks!

Michael Leddy said...

Yep, they’re stylin’.

Daughter Number Three said...

I both love it and am frustrated when an object or subject from the past does not exist anywhere in the Google universe.

What, billions of users and no one has ever mentioned this item? I feel so lonely and so special.

Abbysinthe said...

Hi, I know this post is ancient but I have a box of these. Mine are yellow and white. Any idea what year they were made? Thanks.

Michael Leddy said...

From the box I’d guess no later than the 1960s, but that’s just a guess. The design seems much older than that of the pins with colorful heads.