Friday, January 14, 2011

A better Notational Velocity icon

[Before and after.]

If you, like me, like the Mac app Notational Velocity but cannot abide its icon, a substitute Evernote icon from iconaholic.com is a great alternative.

comments: 6

Matthew Schmeer said...

May I point you to this? A fork of NV that adds a few features to my beloved old standby. Works on Leopard and Snow Leopard only, so I'm stuck with the orginal on my Tiger machine at home. But I do like this newer fork:

http://brettterpstra.com/code/notational-velocity-alt/

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Matthew. I knew about Nottingham ($19.95) but not about free forks of NV. I’m still in Tiger too. I almost said “Alas, I’m still in Tiger too,” but I’m still happy with it.

Matt Thomas said...

Since downloading the aforementioned nvALT, I’ve been using it constantly. It beats the pants off the regular Notional Velocity. 10.4 is getting a little long in the tooth. ’Tis worth updating.

Michael Leddy said...

Or getting a new Mac — sometime.

Thanks, Matt, for pointing me to Dropbox a while ago. I just began using it, and it’s great.

Anonymous said...

The official NV icon is better. And it's somewhat irresponsible to point people toward an out of date fork.

http://scrod.posterous.com/notational-velocity-204

Michael Leddy said...

Anon., please consider what I wrote: “If you, like me, like the Mac app Notational Velocity but cannot abide its icon, a substitute Evernote icon from iconaholic.com is a great alternative. ” The beauty of an icon (or lack thereof) is in the eye of the beholder. There’s no arguing taste.

The link I included in my post points to http://notational.net, which would appear to be the app’s homepage (if it’s not, then TUAW and other Mac sites are also in the dark). It’s hardly irresponsible to point to the work of the app’s creator, who provided an update just yesterday. There’s a new icon too, but I still like the yellow note much more.