Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spellings of the future

A spelling of the future is a misspelling so strange that it must be traveling backward in time to give us a foretaste of our language’s evolution. Today’s spelling of tomorrow, or vice versa:



A sample sentence: Yes, we have now bananas.

I have seen now for no three times in recent months. If now for no is a typo, it’s a mighty strange one. I think that the sound of know explains now.

Other spellings of the future
Aww : Bard-wired fence

comments: 4

Elaine said...

Perhaps it's the word prediction software. I had to turn mine off to stop it from messing with things like surnames.

Michael Leddy said...

I wondered about that — the Cupertino effect. I can’t get auto-correct to suggest now for no though. I think this one is a genuine misunderstanding.

Elaine said...

My other thought is (sigh) that one thinks one word and writes another, similar, word....as when I write 'thing' instead of 'think' and other brain-fog events. Sometimes I get ahead of myself in crosswords, too, and fail to consider that some letters are already inserted in the grid...

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve been there too with crosswords. But this kind of mistake, likeand for an, looks to me like a matter of spelling by ear, esp. when the writer doesn’t recognize the mistake as an obvious one.