Thursday, June 9, 2011

Waters, Mathis, McDowall, Axelrod, Rogers, and Evans

John Waters tells a story:

Johnny Mathis admits he does go to private events, and we both recall happily those wonderfully insane dinner party salons that the late Roddy McDowall used to give for the most bizarrely mixed guest list ever. “He included everybody,” Johnny says, laughing, and boy, did he! I remember being lucky enough to be invited there and meeting George Axelrod, and how happy I was to gush to him in person about the brilliance of his screenplay and his direction of the movie Lord Love a Duck. Then I turned around and there was an elderly couple dressed in full fringed cowboy outfits with holsters and guns. “Oh, John,” Roddy asked casually, “do you know Roy Rogers and Dale Evans?” “No,” I stammered, almost speechless. How could I? I live in Baltimore!

Role Models (New York: Farrar, Strauss and Giroux, 2010)
Other Lord Love a Duck posts
Blackwing pencil sighting
“[F]lapping his arms like Roddy McDowall”
Getting my ducks in a row

comments: 0