Sunday, May 20, 2007

"Lovely Sunday afternoons"

Today's Proust sentence is one over-the-top moment of apostrophe:

Lovely Sunday afternoons under the chestnut tree in the garden at Combray, carefully emptied by me of the ordinary incidents of my own existence, which I had replaced by a life of foreign adventures and foreign aspirations in the heart of a country washed by running waters, you still evoke that life for me when I think of you and you contain it in fact from having gradually encircled and enclosed it -- while I went on with my reading in the falling heat of the day -- in the crystalline succession, slowly changing and spanned by leafy branches, of your silent, sonorous, redolent, and limpid hours.

From Swann's Way, translated by Lydia Davis (New York: Viking, 2002), 89

All Proust posts (via Pinboard)

comments: 0