Monday, December 25, 2006

James Brown (1933-2006)



Butane James
The Funky President
The Godfather of Soul
The Hardest-Working Man in Show Business
The Man Who Never Left
Minister of the New, New, Super-Heavy Funk
Mr. Dynamite
Mr. Please, Please, Please
Soul Brother Number One
Universal James

"Where I grew up there was no way out, no avenue of escape, so you had to make a way. Mine was to create JAMES BROWN."

James Brown
May 3, 1933 - December 25, 2006

[Photographs by Howard Bingham, 1965]

comments: 5

leftdog said...

He will be badly missed - I am holding tickets for a January 8th concert that will not happen now.

As a tribute to this great man, here is what Billboard Magazine published in the days following the riots from the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King:
"Hail, James Brown
Billboard Magazine Editorial
April 27, 1968
Amid the looting and rioting in Washington., Brown came to the people and told a live television audience, "Get off the streets. Go home. Nothing can be gained by looting and burning, only sorrow and misery." A few hours later, those who were not at home to see Brown make an appeal, were at home watching the continuous rebroadcast of Brown’s plea. Washington and the rioters withdrew into their homes taking the advice of James Brown, who is not a politician but a singer. Brown went to Washington at his own expense just as he went to Boston and other riot torn cities..."

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the comment and the Billboard item, leftdog. I'm sorry that you won't get to see James Brown. I saw him for the first and last time in fall 2005 -- a show in a college rec center. The energy and showmanship were like nothing else I've seen.

Anonymous said...

My first recollection of James Brown was when I was about 10 yrs. old. I was watching Ski Party and JB breezed onto the set with "I Feel Good" and off the set again so fast that I didn't know what hit me. However, he left me with a feeling of overwhelming energy that I have never lost! Thank you James Brown!

flexnib said...

Rest in peace, Mr Brown.

Michael Leddy said...

Jeanne, thanks for mentioning Ski Party, which I read about years ago but had never seen. I found the clip on YouTube:

James Brown sings "I Got You (I Feel Good)"

I ended up writing something about it in this post:

James Brown's ski party