Sunday, October 21, 2007

"The Autumn of the Multitaskers"

From "The Autumn of the Multitaskers," an essay by novelist Walter Kirn in the November 2007 Atlantic:

"Where do you want to go today?" Microsoft asked us.

Now that I no longer confuse freedom with speed, convenience, and mobility, my answer would be: "Away. Just away. Someplace where I can think."

Related posts
Multitasking makes you stupid
Multitasking: "not paying attention"
On continuous partial attention
(Thanks to L. Lee Lowe, who pointed her readers to this essay.)

[Update, 1/22/08: The Atlantic has made its archives available to non-subscribers. Anyone may now read Kirn's essay online: The Autumn of the Multitaskers.]

comments: 3

Lee said...

I've just added a link to the entire essay, courtesy of another blogger.

inthemiddle said...

How can I access the whole article online? THANKS!

Michael Leddy said...

It's now available online only to subscribers.