Thursday, March 23, 2006

Beards (signs of the Times)

The New York Times reports today that beards are back, part of a reaction against "men who look scrubbed, shaved, plucked and waxed." "Men both straight and gay," the article says, "want to feel rough and manly."

Rough and manly, that's me (see photo right).

Priceless quotation:

"It's a nice masculine aesthetic," said Robert Tagliapietra, who with his similarly bearded partner, Jeffrey Costello, designs a collection of pretty silk jersey dresses under the Costello Tagliapietra label. "We both like that aesthetic of New England cabins with antlers on the wall, plaid shirts and a beard."
» Paul Bunyan, Modern-Day Sex Symbol (from the New York Times)

comments: 1

Crritic! said...

Oh yeah, rough and manly, that's me - he says, rubbing his beard.

I once asked my uncle why all men seemed to have beards in the early seventies (including him). "We thought it was a symbol of wisdom", he said. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.