Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Learning styles

Here's an interesting link, to a free learning styles inventory (via lifehack.org). The score in each category can run from 0 to 20. My numbers:

Visual 13
Aural 14
Verbal 19
Physical 5
Logical 13
Social 9
Solitary 17
Yes, I'm a solitary (and sometimes logical) reader, or at least that's how I learn best. This inventory might not tell you anything you don't already know. Then again, it might.

*

April 23, 2018: The idea of “learning styles” looks more and more dubious. And this inventory of learning styles now looks to me much more like an inventory of habits of mind and elements of personality. My numbers in 2018:

Visual 8
Aural 15
Verbal 19
Physical 9
Logical 13
Social 10
Solitary 18

Go figure.

[Note: The above site asks for a name and email address and says that providing them is "completely optional." But you don't get to see your result until you've filled in the "optional" blanks. Just giving initials and a throwaway email address (e.g., "junkmail@mailinator.com") is sufficient. Mailinator is a terrific resource when a website asks for an email address.]

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

Hi Prof. Leddy!

Your blog is so much fun to read! I check it so often, it has become as obsessive as checking email or watching the news. It's a blast to read every day because your posts are so random that I never know what I'm going to find!

Why are your scores so close while my scores have definite highs and lows? My scores are:
6
15
15
6
8
14
16

ashley k

Michael Leddy said...

Hi Ashley,

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. I don't know how to explain the differences, but I have definite lows too. I suppose the answer is simply (or not so simply) that everyone has different learning styles. Your scores look pretty well-balanced though.