Friday, June 12, 2020

Staying in one place

I know nothing about making models, but I’m struck by this (pre-pandemic) observation from Philip Reed, a professional model maker. It’s from a short film, Zen and the Art of Model Making, found at J.D. Lowe’s 30 Squares:

“I do not see that just having to stay in one place is a restriction on life. It’s more having to stay in one place in your head that’s a restriction on life.”
I’d say that when people you love are many miles away, having to stay in one place is a restriction. But the point I take from Reed’s observation: Feed Your Head.

comments: 2

J D Lowe said...

There is a series of videos about Philip Reed's ship models on youtube. Unlike the usual videos on model making they focus on influences, history, motivation, and philosophy instead of tools and techniques - although, they're included to a certain extent. The videos are more like backgrounders on an artist and his work as opposed to being purely instructional. I'd recommend videos #1 about The Anne, and #7 on HMS Dido.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Jim.

I can easily imagine showing a clip of Philip Reed to writing students for general inspiration — the idea of the shokunin, dedicated to the work for the sake of the work. When I was teaching, I used a bit of Jiro Dreams of Sushi for the same purpose.