Thursday, April 9, 2020

Seige

McKean’s law says that “Any correction of the speech or writing of others will contain at least one grammatical, spelling, or typographical error.” And so it was that when I wrote a post in which I called attention to Donald Trump*’s non-standard pronunciation of siege, I misspelled the word as seige.

Which was fine by my Mac, whose spellchecker fails to recognize seige as a nonword. Here, look:



I typed the word and non-words you see above in TextEdit, chose Check Document Now from the Spelling and Grammar menu, and found that only hghgh was flagged. I tried again, choosing Show Spelling and Grammar, and the result was the same. Seige also passes for a word in MarsEdit, Pages, and, I would imagine, any app that uses the Mac’s spellcheck. Checking seige against the Mac’s dictionary with Look Up returns nothing: at least the dictionary knows that seige is not a word. I’m using macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Catalina users, do you get the same results?

The Blogger composing window sometimes flags seige. But only sometimes. As I type this post, the non-word is sometimes underlined in red, sometimes not. Now I’m wondering how many more non-words get by my Mac. But as everyone should already know, you can’t trust spellcheck.

[McKean’s law is named for the lexicographer Erin McKean. Years ago Erin helped me get an explanation of a strange sentence in the Mac’s digital thesaurus.]

comments: 5

Tororo said...

A couple days ago, using the (french, of course) Textedit, with autocorrection on ('cause I'm too lazy to turn it off) I was typing a text that had both "sadducéens" (sadducees) and "khazars" in it… I was pleasantly surprised to notice that Textedit knew that "sadducéens" was a word, and baffled as it did not admit that "khazars" was one: I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Richard Abbott said...

For what it's worth, MS Office running on a PC flags seige up with red underline. As does GMail. As, indeed, does the comments text area in which I am typing right now :)

Michael Leddy said...

Tororo, I get the same results with English. The recommended replacement for Khazars is Chasers.

Richard, I have to report that with my Mac, the comment box has the same unreliable response to seige as the Blogger composing window. If I type seige as the first word in the comment box, there’s no underline, and I can then type it again and again with no underline. But if I type Tororo first, that gets underlined.

Tororo said...

Haha! So Tororo's blog will have no fear to sustain a seige. I feel relieved!

Michael Leddy said...

:)