Saturday, March 7, 2020

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper is by Greg Johnson — yow. A genuine Stumper. I am proud to have solved it, even if it took forty-seven minutes and change. Or especially if it took me that long. The puzzle is a mix of wit, opacity, and odd bits of fact. The clue that most helped me: 10-D, ten letters, “Extracted.” That seems fitting.

Some clue-and-answer pairs I especially liked:

1-A, four letters, “Eyesore.” I was too clever for my own good and started off with STYE. Nope.

5-A, four letters, “Aramaic word for ‘bread.’” An odd bit of fact, right? But easily guessable, I think.

7-D, five letters, “Quite excited, new-style.” I once made a class laugh heartily when I used this word. Note: I was aiming for laughs.

14-A, four letters, “Range alternative.” Aah, opacity. OVEN? No.

17-A, fifteen letters, “What some bylaws include.” Feel the opacity.

20-A, ten letters, “Mast on the move.” Now that’s witty.

28-A, seven letters, “Performance plan.” As is this clue.

28-D, ten letters, “Dining table container.” More opacity.

32-A, four letters, “Hare hunter.” FUDD? No.

54-D, four letters, “Product sold by Fatworks.” What?!

58-A, fifteen letters, “Cause of a rock group breakup.” Groan.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 6

Michael Leddy said...

PRIEDLOOSE.

BLOT. PITA. TURNT. ROVE. AGERESTRICTIONS.

SETLIST. SALTCELLAR. (Not PEPPERMILL.)

LYNX. LARD. HEAVYEXPOLSIVES.

Elaine said...

I fell for the STYE. Got LYNX on my own, along with ROVE. Had MARG, not LARD. Pretty much a wasteland this week.

shallnot said...

Missing: 20-A answer

Michael Leddy said...

Missing: CARANTENNA. Thanks.

shallnot said...

Hooray! I found a spelling mistake in the Oxford Dictionary of English on my iPad:

“...to designate a star in thie Lynx constellation: the star Alpha Lyncis”

Michael Leddy said...

Whoa. That dictionary, or at least an older version of it, has come in for criticism as something of a rush job — I guess this mistake counts as evidence.